Permanent Residence Visa (Green Card)

Permanent Residence Visa (Green Card)

For many, the idea of obtaining a green card is the symbol of the American dream. A green card holder gives the individual the right to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis, and can be granted through several different procedures. An experienced Green Card Immigration Attorney from FL-ILC can help you with your case. Contact us today by calling 1-800-666-4996.The steps to obtaining a green card vary depending on whether you currently live in the United States or are outside the U.S. The main categories for applying for a permanent residence card include:

  • Green Card through family
  • Green Card through an employer
  • Green Card through Refugee or Asylee status
  • Other ways including the Green Card Lottery, battered spouse or child, or person born to a foreign diplomat in the U.S., or widow(er) or a U.S. citizen.

Green Card through Family

Sponsoring a family member is one of the many ways that people obtain green cards and potentially become U.S. citizens. In order to apply, you must be the immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, a member of a special category, or a family member of a green card holder. Speak to our attorneys at FL-ILC to learn more about your eligibility.


Green Card through an Employer

Becoming a permanent resident through an employer is an option that many explore if you fall under certain categories. If your employer completes a labor certification, they may able to sponsor you by filing Form I-140.There are also options for a green card through investment. To learn more about opportunities for investors and entrepreneurs, visit the Investor and Business Visas page.

In some situations, you may be able to self-petition for a green card. This applies to certain professions such as:

  • Afghan/Iraqi Translator
  • Broadcaster
  • International Organization Employee
  • Iraqi Who Assisted the U.S. Government
  • NATO-6 Nonimmigrant
  • Panama Canal Employee
  • Physician National Interest Waiver
  • Religious Worker

All of these require a Form I-360, Petition for American, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant, and are described in Section 101(a)(27) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

The petition process to determine if the foreign national is eligible to receive such residency could include an investigation into the individual’s history on subjects that include criminal arrests/convictions, diseases, unlawful presence issues, etc. These issues could potentially cause challenges for the foreign national when s/he is applying for the green card. Contact the FL-ILC at 1-800-666-4996 for more information.


Saman Movassaghi, Esq.

Call for a Free Consultation

Our knowledgeable, professional and compassionate attorneys have over 13 years of experience in all areas of U.S. immigration matters. We cater to both corporate clients and individuals with an emphasis on employment/investment and family adjustment related matters. We are here to help you with all your immigration needs because it is time for you to Live the American Dream!

Back to Top