Green Card Application

Green Card Application

If you want to work or live with your family in the United States, there are several visa options to explore. One of the primary options is to become a permanent resident or obtain a “green card”. This is typically done through the sponsorship of a family member or an employer, although green cards can be gained through your status as an asylee or refugee as well. The process of becoming a permanent resident is important and should not to be left to chance. Contact the green card attorneys at the Florida Immigration Law Counsel today for help with the green card process. Our experts will guide you through each step and ensure that your American dream is realized.


Family Member-Sponsored Green Card

To qualify to get a green card through a family member, you must be either an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen (spouses and unmarried children), a family member of a U.S. citizen (unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21, married children of any age, and brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen sponsors, 21 or older) or the family member of another green card holder (spouse or unmarried children).


Employer-Sponsored Green Card

Employment-based green cards are put into preferences, which are defined by the level and type of skill that the employee possesses. This includes:

  • EB-1 (first preference): This visa is designated for individuals with extraordinary abilities in the areas of science, business, education, art or sports. The visa is also designated for professors, researchers and executives and managers from multinational companies.
  • EB-2 (second preference): EB-2 visa holders have advanced degrees and five or more years’ experience in a specific field.
  • EB-3: (third preference): The visa is designated for skilled workers with a minimum of two years of training or work experience (not temporary or seasonal employees). This visa is also for unskilled workers whose job requires less than two years of training or work experience.

Applying for a Green Card

If you are currently in the U.S. and you want a green card, you must file for an “adjustment of status” (Form I-485) with an U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office. Along with the application, some of the items you’ll need include:

  • Photos of yourself
  • Letter from the sponsoring employer in regards to the position you will be taking in the U.S.
  • Birth certificate
  • Visa petition approval letter
  • Copy of your passport

Once the application and these items have been submitted, you will be requested to go to a USCIS to have your fingerprints taken. After that, you will be interviewed and a decision on your green card status will be made.

If you are outside the U.S., your initial petition will go through the National Visa Center before they pass it along to the U.S. consulate office in your home country. The consulate office will request an interview and that you get a medical exam. Some of the items needed for your application include:

  • Passport
  • Birth and marriage certificates
  • Police certificate

At FL-ILC, our green card attorneys understand the importance of making a life here in the U.S. That’s why we work tirelessly with our clients to guide them through the application process and interview. Contact us today at 1-800-666-4996.

Leave a comment


Saman Movassaghi, Esq.

Call for a Free Consultation

Our knowledgeable, professional and compassionate attorneys have over 13 years of experience in all areas of U.S. immigration matters. We cater to both corporate clients and individuals with an emphasis on employment/investment and family adjustment related matters. We are here to help you with all your immigration needs because it is time for you to Live the American Dream!

Back to Top