Request a Consultation With an Experienced Attorney

K-3 and K-4 Visas

A long-distance relationship isn’t easy. Fortunately, you and your spouse might not need to remain apart for too long. Thanks to the availability of K-3 and K-4 visas, you and your spouse can limit the time of your separation.

Although this type of visa can be very useful, it’s not common. And when people do apply for a K-3 visa, they are usually denied. By working with a family visa attorney in Florida, you can improve your chances of success. The Florida Immigration Law Counsel has the resources to handle your application.

What Are K-3 and K-4 Visas?

A K-3 visa is a temporary visa, and it’s only for foreign citizens who are married to U.S. citizens. Once the foreign spouse obtains the visa, they can legally enter the U.S. This is only until their immigrant visa petition is approved or denied. Most individuals on this type of visa opt to adjust their status to permanent residency soon after entering the country.

If a K-3 visa applicant has children, they receive K-4 visas for each child. Like the parent, the child can remain in the country while their immigration visas are undergoing the approval process. In this way, it is similar to K-1 visas and K-2 visas.

Who Uses K-3 Visas?

K-3 visas are often used by couples who meet overseas. For instance, a U.S. citizen could meet someone in China and get married. The citizen may need to return to the U.S., but it could take over a year for their spouse’s immigration visa to be approved.

In this situation, the foreign spouse would not be allowed in the U.S. without an approved visa. But a K-3 visa can get them into the country quicker. The couple would not need to remain apart for months at a time.

This visa is good for two years. While the visa is valid, the individual can leave and return to the U.S. many times. Unlike some other visa types, you have few limitations on re-entry.

The Application Process

Before you can apply for this type of visa, you should make sure you and your spouse meet the requirements. The applicant needs to be married to a U.S. citizen. They also need to have a pending Petition for Alien Relative.

If the non-citizen spouse meets the requirements, the citizen needs to file the Petition for Alien Relative. Once they file, the process begins. Typically, the petitioner will receive a notice two or three weeks after filing the paperwork. After receiving the letter, they can file a Form I-129F. This is the form that requests the K-3 visa.

If the foreign spouse has children, the citizen does not need to file separate petitions. Instead, they should include them on the one form.

The Visa Interview

One of the most important parts of the process is your visa interview. When the National Visa Center receives your form, they will send it to the U.S. embassy or the consulate in the country where you were married. Then, they schedule your interview.

Before your interview, you will need to show the proper documentation. This includes your passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, and medical exam report. If you had a previous marriage, you need to bring the divorce or death certificate of the former spouse. You also need a police certificate for yourself as well as children over the age of 16. Finally, you need evidence of your relationship.

You will also receive information on how to finalize your K-3 visa. Typically, this involves having the foreign spouse do a medical exam and participating in an interview. If the U.S. embassy or consulate approves the visa, they will give the individual a sealed packet. In it, there will be the visa and other documents used for the application process. That packet should only be opened by a Customs and Border Protection officer after the immigrant enters the U.S.

Changing Your Status

Once the foreign spouse is in the U.S., they can work on adjusting their immigration status. They do not need to wait for their Petition for Alien Resident application to be approved.

The spouse can also seek an employment authorization. By doing so, they can legally work while waiting for a change in their status.

The Challenges of K-3 Visas

In 2017, 20.9% of Florida’s population was foreign-born. For many reasons, the state continues to draw immigrants from all over the world. Some of those immigrants are married before they enter the country.

Unfortunately, life can be difficult for those individuals. While their loved ones are in the U.S., they may be stuck in their home country. The time and distance can damage their relationship. To prevent this, they can apply for a K-3 visa.

However, the Department of State does not issue K-3 visas as frequently as you might imagine. In fact, they are reluctant to issue them. In 2016, the Department only issued 102 K-3 visas. Yet, they issued 133,465 immigrant visas to spouses of citizens.

There’s no real explanation for the lack of K-3 visas. But it can’t hurt to apply for one. If you don’t receive it, you still have your immigrant visa. If that application is successful, you and your loved one can be together once more.

Working with an Immigration Attorney

If you’re worried about seeing your loved one, you should contact an immigration attorney. They can explain more about the K-3 visa process. Furthermore, they can discuss other options for bringing your family back together.

Unless you have in-depth knowledge of immigration law, you can’t be equipped to handle the challenges that come with immigrating to the U.S. You might be overwhelmed by the process or make a mistake that jeopardizes the visa process.

When you work with an immigration attorney, you can simplify the process. You also decrease your chance at mistakes and increase your chance at a good outcome. Here at the Florida Immigration Law Counsel, we’re ready to give you the guidance you need. Contact us today for more information.

“We’re Located Miramar, Florida”
Find Us


Saman was referred to me 5 years ago by a family friend who had used her services and was happy with them. When I contacted her, even though she was not my attorney yet, she did not hesitate to talk to me about my case. Later, as my marriage-based case progressed and became more complicated, she was able to help us through each step successfully. Our case got approved thanks to her! Also, my parents were selected in the DV lottery but with the new immigration complications and the fact that my family comes from one of the countries on the banned list, we have been concerned. However, she has managed to help us through their case as well. We appreciate Saman’s knowledge of the system, her availability, and her patience. I feel comfortable texting her at any time to ask her questions when I don’t have the chance to call or write an email. She is on top of it and responds to all of my questions thoroughly and promptly. Would definitely recommend her! Even if you are not sure you need an attorney I would give her a call

- Arvin

Saman is very helpful, my case was a little complicated, Saman gave the consultants very efficient, thanks Saman!

- Matt

I really appreciate the help from Saman. Her professionalism and knowledge helped me to get my case approved. I also appreciate her patience throughout the whole process as well and make sure I understand her approach for my case. Would definitely recommend her!

- Anonymous

Having to request the services of an Immigration Lawyer is a daunting experience. Saman has the most reassuring attitude, which instantly put me at ease. She and her staff are diligent in planning the appropriate course of action and executing it without delay. She is approachable, warm, knowledgeable, direct and genuine. To me, she is the modern face of Immigration lawyers! If you are reading those reviews here, look no further. Contact her. She'll help you.

- Anonymous

Her professionalism is excellent. She helped us through with patience and respect. Everything went smoothly. An important ally in an overwhelming process.

- Angela

Saman was very professional and thorough, she prepared me well for my interview and everything went smoothly.

- Jimmy

I am extremely happy to have had Saman guide us through an immigration case. She was extremely helpful and dedicated to our case; and ultimately, delivered great results. Would definitely recommend!

- Andrea

My partner won the diversity visa lotery and We werent married at the time. My wife and I filled the forms and we made a mistake. Saman helped us to fix our mistake and updated our case with the US office. She was kind and efficient with us. Thank you for your help Saman!

- Silverio

Excellent service and staff. Always responded and answered all of my questions right away.

- Franchescoli

My experience with Saman & her office was exceptional. Alba, the paralegal in her office was always a call or email away. Efficient in their responses made me at ease throughout the process. I would definitely recommend them to anyone!

- Kristal Garia-Augier

There is no better feeling than to be taken step by step though the overwhelming process of becoming an American Citizen with flawless professionalism and expert knowledge. Saman does this with perfection. She is patient, honest, organized, fast and very experienced. There is no question in my mind that I could not have done this with out Mrs. Saman Movassaghi and her outstanding firm. Thank you for taking me every step of the way

- Luis Kuri

Saman did an excellent job of streamlining the process of acquiring my green card. She not only did so in a prompt and professional manner, but she was there to answer any questions that came up during the process. I would highly recommend her to anyone!

- Ayelet Gilady

I am very happy to know that I was approve for my green card today thanks to her, and I love the way how she work to help me she make time and talk to me about my case and when I text she would always text me back on time and I most admit I was a little annoying but she put up with me and she did all my paperwork the right way and now I am a happy man . And she also help me with my dui charge so I am grateful to have mrs saman as my attorney she is the best and I will introduce my friend to her . So she can help her and her husband

- Orlando Smith

Trying to understand immigration laws of USA is one of the biggest challenges I have faced. Saman make it to me and my wife so simple that we change a complete stress and complicated scenario to a 1,2,3 process. I would highly recommend to anybody in need of immigration counseling to give themselves the opportunity of a very professional, honest and transparent guidance with Saman and her team.

- Santiago Gonzalez

My wife and I hired Saman to help us with a permanent residency application. My wife is a U.S citizen and I am Canadian. Right from the start she was very easy to deal with and schedule time with. I was in medical school and in the process of applying for residency. Saman was able to get me an Employment Authorization Document while awaiting my greencard, which meant that I was eligible to apply to significantly more programs because I would not require any visas. Also, during our in-person interview, the interview stated that he has been doing this for 21 years and has never seen anyone this well prepared. Because of this, we were asked very few questions and I was given my green card a week later. I would highly recommend you chose Saman for any and everything to do with immigration.

- Anonymous

It is with pleasure I would like to compliment the executive and legal staff of the Florida Immigration Law Counsel, for their kind, human and professional attention to our most recent process with the Government Immigration Services departments. In particular I would like to commend Saman Movassaghi on her highly detailed preparation of the process resulting in a trouble-free conclusion and the issuing of our required visas. I highly recommend the professional services of this Law Office and Saman for services related to Immigration and wish them well for the future.

- Virgil

We are very pleased with the experience we had with Saman. She guided us through a very cumbersome process and made it much less stressful. With her help we were able to obtain green cards for some of our employees. We would highly recommend her!

- Erin

Attorney Saman and Alba were so helpful! They helped me with the entire processing of getting my EAD card expedited. They were so patient and thorough. Words cannot describe my appreciation. If you’re looking for a reliable immigration attorney, please don’t look further.

- Rui

I am very happy to know that I was approve for my green card today thanks to her, and I love the way how she work to help me she make time and talk to me about my case and when I text she would always text me back on time and I most admit I was a little annoying but she put up with me and she did all my paperwork the right way and now I am a happy man

- Orlando

If your looking for and excellent immigration lawyer look know more, Saman Movassaghi is so great in her practice she just recently got my papers for me in less then a year , I really taught it want be possible , because of simple mistakes in the pass, but if she said she can do it , I would recommend any one not to hesitate and go with her she’s is awesome with a lovely staff , I thank u so much again

- Demico

Ms. Saman Movassaghi is the smartest, nicest and most talented attorney I have ever met. She is an exceptionally great immigration lawyer. She has handled my case with confidence, efficiency, effectiveness and professionalism. As I observe, she is truly dedicated to his clients and has shown genuine interest in helping them. Her answers are always thoughtful and accurate. She and her firm treat clients with care, honesty, respect, warmth and humility. My case was not easy, but I got approved my Green Card the end day of 2019! Thus, I highly recommend her for any legal work regarding Immigration proceedings.

- Amy Park

Saman and her team did an amazing job combing through my problematic history with the US visa and walked me through all the way until I received the visa ! After a decade and four denials ! The documents prepared by them were thorough and I came to the interview really prepared. Thanks again for the service and attention to detail !

- Reizel Roth

Great experience with this law firm! Very generous, enthusiastic, and stuck to their word.

- Margy Orozco

Really appreciated all the work and effort they put into my application. Very knowledgeable and friendly and did everything they could to help us.

- Lee Keyrouz

Saman and her staff were able to assist us in what we felt to be a difficult case which took over 9 months. I want to especially thank Lianette, one of Saman's paralegals, who was continuously diligent and handled the matter with a sense of urgency as if it was a personal matter for herself. If ever needed, we will definitely return. Thank you!

- Leti Betti

(Translated by Google) My experience with Saman as my representing attorney was exceptional. She is an extremely professional individual with a clear and focused mind and attitude. She is very knowledgeable and was quick to provide solutions to any unexpected conflicts, and was very patient throughout my entire legal process. Saman was also very reliable and responsive, as was her team at her legal firm, thanks for all you did for us !! we are a super happy customers we strongly recommend her. Our experience with lawyer Saman Movassaghi as a representative was very positive and exceptional, a human person and with a lot of dedication to his work, always pending and accessible to any concerns of his clients, a person who knows what he does very smart and eagerly to solve as difficult as the case may be, I have plenty of words of thanks in the way she and her team handled our case. With professionalism and ethics., we will be forever grateful, I recommend it with closed eyes. Thank you!! (Original) My experience with Saman as my representing attorney was exceptional. She is an extremely professional individual with a clear and focused mind and attitude. She is very knowledgeable and was quick to provide solutions to any unexpected conflicts, and was very patient throughout my entire legal process. Saman was also very reliable and responsive, as was her team at her legal firm, thanks for all you did for us!! we are a super happy customers we strongly recommend her. Nuestra experiencia con la abogada Saman Movassaghi como representante fue muy positiva y exepccional, una persona humana y con mucha dedicacion a su labor, siempre pendiente y accequible a cualquier inquietud de sus clientes, una persona que sabe lo que hace muy inteligente y con muchas ganas de solucionar por mas dificil que sea el caso, me sobran las palabras de agradecimiento en la forma como ella y su equipo llevaron nuestro caso. con profesionalismo y etica., estaremos por siempre agradecidos, la recomiendo con ojos cerrados. Gracias!!

- M Carvajal

Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Will return if need be.

- Juan Echavarria

Saman and her team are very professional, warm and thorough. She used her vast knowledge to ensure my husband and I were well prepared for our interview. Interesting enough the immigration officer expressed how impressed he was with the packet and her knowledge— making for a smooth interview. Additionally, she is just a delight to work with and treated us with such kindness we thought we were only clients. I would recommend her services any day of the week. Can’t say thank you enough!

- Noelle Mcgeachy

If you want the best results, then Florida immigration Law Counsel is your way to go. Saman took all the time in the world to explain every detail about the Labor Cert/EB2 process plus her confidence in the process was unbelievable. She is extremely knowledgeable which automatically gave me so much confidence, because she knew what she was talking about. Saman and Lianette are super-fast to answer e-mails, are always available for calls and they explain everything in detail. Thanks to them my process had no set-backs, plus they always gave me great advise—they know their way around every situation, and their customer service is top of the line!

- Andres Guerra

Saman Movassaghi provided detailed and precise correct guidance on an immigration matter that my family and I were facing. Her communication and responsiveness is unparallel. I highly recommend hiring her to take care of all your immigration needs. I never expected her to be so in tuned with my situation and really care about the welfare of my family and I as much as she did. 5-Star Service.

- Jacob Rahamim