Adoption Attorneys

Adoption Attorneys

The idea of starting a family is a thought that enters everyone’s mind, regardless of their beliefs, careers or otherwise – and increasingly, more and more American citizens are seeking to adopt children. Immigration through adoption is a process where a child born in one country is adopted by a parent living in another country. It is also known as intercountry adoption, and it could be a way in which a child can attain a green card or permanent residence in the United States. Contact the Florida Immigration Law Counsel at 1-800-666-4996 today to speak to our experienced adoption attorneys about the intercountry adoption process.USCIS has defined three ways in order for a foreign adoption to occur, and immigration can only occur if the individual’s adoption meets all the requirements of that process. For children adopted by citizens of the United States, the child may immigrate immediately after adoption, or may immigrate to the U.S. to be adopted there. Adoption and Immigration are two separate legal processes. Adoption is governed by the state, whereas immigration is federally enforced.

The Hague Process

If a child lives in a country that is party to the Hague Intercounty Adoption convention, and is under the age of 16, they may be able to immigrate through this process. In order to petition for your child, there are several requirements to be eligible to file form I-800A with USCIS. Some of those requirements are:

  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Habitually reside in the United States
  • If you are married, your spouse must also sign your Form I-800A and intend to adopt any child whom you adopt
  • If you are not married, you must be at least 24 years of age when you file your Form I-800A, and you must be 25 years of age when you file your Form I-800

For more information about the Hague Process, visit
For the full list of 70 countries currently participating in the Hague Process, visit

The Orphan Process

It is heartbreaking to imagine a child alone without its birthparents, or with a single parent who is unable to take care of them. However, with nearly 20 million children falling under this category, there is an orphan crisis in the world. According to immigration law, an orphan is a foreign-born child who does not have any parents due to the death or disappearance of, abandonment or desertion by, or separation of loss from both parents, or who has a sole surviving parent who is unable to care for the child.You may be eligible to immigrate an adopted child through the orphan process if you meet the following requirements:

    • You Are a U.S. citizen.
    • If you are married, your spouse must also sign Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative and must also adopt the child
    • You establish that you will provide proper parental care to the child
    • You establish that the child whom you have adopted or plan to adopt is an “orphan” as defined in U.S. immigration law
    • You establish that either: You (and your spouse, if married) have adopted the child abroad, and that at least one of you personally saw and observed the child before or during the adoption proceedings


  • You will adopt the child in the United States after the child arrives in the United States (you must have permission to bring the child out of his or her own country and to the United States for adoption)


There are other ways of adopting foreign born children under U.S. Immigration law. To speak with an experienced Adoption Attorney who can navigate your family through the process, call the Florida Immigration Law Counsel at 1-800-666-4996 today.


Saman Movassaghi, Esq.

Call for a Free Consultation

Our knowledgeable, professional and compassionate attorneys have over 13 years of experience in all areas of U.S. immigration matters. We cater to both corporate clients and individuals with an emphasis on employment/investment and family adjustment related matters. We are here to help you with all your immigration needs because it is time for you to Live the American Dream!

Back to Top